Reflections on the Summit for Democracy
December 14, 2021 | After years of democratic backsliding, the Summit for Democracy is an opportunity to reaffirm and reinvent how democracy delivers. FEDN is examining how open market economies and business contribute to democracy that delivers.
Statement of the Free Enterprise & Democracy Network on the Summit for Democracy
December 10, 2021 | On December 9-10, the first Summit for Democracy brought together “leaders from government, civil society, and the private sector to set forth an affirmative agenda for democratic renewal and to tackle the greatest threats faced by...
Welcome to Our New FEDN Members
October 1, 2021 | The FEDN Secretariat at CIPE is pleased to welcome 15 new members to the Network who hold an impressive range of regional, thematic, and technical experience.
The Free Enterprise and Democracy Network (FEDN) was established by CIPE in 2012 to promote international engagement around the principles of free enterprise and democracy and bring private sector voices into global discourse on democracy. The network provides a mechanism for private sector leaders and advocates of economic freedom across the world to exchange ideas and support, and make the case for democratic, prosperous societies.
- Ruslan Stefanov and Martin Vladimirov co-authored a report, “Deals in the Dark” which analyzes Russian corrosive capital in Argentina and Bolivia. Their report is the fifth in the Sharp Power and Democratic Resilience Series.
- Boris Begovic recently published a book review of “Capitalism, Alone: The Future of the System That Rules the World” by Branko Milanovic. In the review, Begovic examines the author’s assertion that only capitalism remains, but which version: liberal capitalism or political capitalism?
- Laith Al Qasem, CEO of Innovative Startups & SMEs Fund (ISSF) announced that ISSF would be investing in Abjjad, a Jordan-based e-book subscription service. For a monthly fee of $5.99, the Abjjad service offers users unlimited access to some 6,000 Arabic e-books and novels. The investment demonstrates the increasing importance of e-marketplaces in the post-COVID economy.
- Martin Burt has developed a toolkit called Poverty Stoplight, which is a process allowing survey respondents to self-assess their well-being through 6 dimensions. This type of toolkit is especially helpful during this time because it provides information to policymakers as they formulate continued economic responses to COVID-19. To learn more about Fundacion Paraguya’s work, visit their website here.
- Ryan Evangelista served as a moderator for the virtual edition of the National Export Congress 2020 (NEC 2020). The theme, “Digitalization Boost: Invigorating Exports in the New Normal” focused on how exporters can use digital tools to “adapt to a more socially distant future.”
- Toki Mabogunje co-hosted the Africa Business Ethics Conference, a “business-community-led global forum for convening a broad stakeholder group” working on the “complex and peculiar challenges posed by corruption.”
Member Updates & Suggestions
We want to hear from you. Please use this form to keep us updated on your latest work or to submit suggestions you have for us.
Our Network's Reach
Below highlights all of the countries where our members reside.